Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Granny Mary

Today is my Granny Mary's 80th birthday. Some of you know that my Granny was diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago. Paul, the kids and I visited her a few weeks ago. While we were there, she looked at me with eyes that were searching for recognition of who we were. I looked at her and memories of the last 40 years that I have spent with her flooded my mind. Since there are more days that not that she doesn't remember anything, I wanted to share some of my memories that I have of her to honor her on this special day.

Loving Hands- Granny always loved to sew. I remember how I couldn't wait to receive a package in the mail. Whether it was a shirt, shorts or a dress, the articles of clothing were made for me with such loving hands. I can still remember one of my favorites - a pink and white checkered dress. I wore that dress on my first plane ride to Indiana to spend my first summer with Granny and Pa.

Cooking - Next to my mom, Granny was the best cook in the world. I loved to spend time with her in the kitchen. I remember cooking, baking and canning with her in the kitchen. I remember the cherry pies, canning pickles, and so much more. I also remember calling her as an adult about a recipe and she would tell me it over the phone. Then in a few days I would receive a handwritten copy of the recipe in the mail. Oh how I treasure those recipes that I have in my favorite cookbook that were handwritten by her.

Mail - Granny was always sending mail. She had a card organizer and she would send cards for your birthday or anniversary. Also, I received many letters during my college days. Being away at college, I was always excited to get that little note from her in my mailbox.

Movies/Shopping - Granny would take us to the movies at Castleton Square. We saw "Apple Dumpling Gang", "Benji" , "Herbie" and "Grease" just to name a few. She would also take us shopping. I remember how Regina and I would run just to keep up with her.

Friends - Granny was always a loyal friend. I remember a few of her special friends and how she spent time with them and how they would sit, visit and minister to each other. And NO ONE could ever forget Emma Martin's wonderful homemade apple pie.

Faith - On the strongest memories I have is how Granny served the Lord inside the church. She taught children and women, sang in the choir and ministered to the members of their church. I remember being in her classes as a young child all the way to her subbing in her ladies class just a few years ago. There are so many times that I hear a hymn in church or on the radio that reminds me of her singing that song during the service or around the house. There is a song that we sing sometimes in church that has the phrase in it "May those who come behind us Find us faithful". Looking back on Granny's life, I truly believe that Granny is one of the most faithful people that I know.

Happy Birthday Granny. You have truly been a woman that I admire and along with my mom - you are my hero.

1 comment:

annalee said...

what a sweet way to honor and remember your favorite things about granny mary! happy birthday to her!